camera GPS

I read that GPS cameras are not allowed in China. Is this true? I would like to be able to take my camera with me and it does have the feature.

You can take your camera with GPS to China, but there is a good chance that you won't be able to use the GPS locationing function. Some major camera manufacturers built into their products a mechanism that once in China, GPS stops working. This is so because theoretically Chinese law forbids surveying and mapping without permission. Camera owners thus may find that their cameras work generally but with not geo locationing function. Some other camera makers do not have this block built, so there is a chance that the GPS in these cameras may still work. There is this long article online which invetigates what cameras' GPS may or may not work in China. So if you go by the law, you should not use GPS when taking photos, especially in areas that seem to be sensitive for whatever reasons. On the other hand, GPS in smart phones does work. For some further info, see this answer on GPS camera use in China.