Sanya , Hainan Province


I am traveling to Hainan from Hong Kong on a UK Passport (my partner is on a US passport) I will be staying for 10 days and keep getting conflicting advice as to whether I need a visa or not. I have been told that I can get a Visa on arrival at the airport but some sites say this is not the case.


can someone please clarify what the situation is for me?


thanks very much


You'll need a visa to travel Sanya, Hainan. Only those who travel from Hong Kong to Shenzhen, organized by tour agencies, can visit Shenzhen for a few days visa-free, or to get a visa at the border-cross between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. Even then one should not count on it. For your trip to Sanya, Hainan, you should get a visa. The basic situation is that travelers from certain countries can visit Hong Kong visa-free for up to 90 days. But they need visa to travel to destinations in Mainland China. There are only a couple of minor exceptions, including the one mentioned above and transiting through Shanghai.